August 14, 2012

Look Who’s Cooking Again!

My guess is that most of you are no where as routine oriented as I am.  When I say routine, I’m not just talking about how I go about my day (wake up, get dressed, brush teeth, eat breakfast, etc.), I’m talking about when I find something I like, it basically incorporate into my EVERY day.  It becomes routine to me.

Since I try to eat somewhat healthy, I look for quick, but TASTY, lunch options.  For awhile (like 6 months), I was eating this Weight Watchers Pasta Salad with Blue Cheese, Arugula and Walnuts

pasta blue cheese

I would still be eating that salad every day if I could control my portion size.  Unfortunately I would eat entirely too much pasta, add way too much blue cheese and eat until I couldn’t take another bite.  Guess what?  Even a Weight Watchers recipe will pack the pounds on you, if you don’t follow portion size.  Lesson learned.

Next I created my own Chopped Chicken Salad – which consisted of canned chicken, arugula, chives, tomatoes, onions, red peppers and walnuts topped with an oil and vinegar dressing.  I ate this every day for months too. 

salad2

Then I moved on to my own version of a Qdoba Chicken Salad. So you see, when I tire of one, I move on to another.  Well, I found my next one:

bean salad

VIA

This is the tastiest salad I’ve ever had.  It just explodes with flavors in your mouth!  I kid you not. 

Black Bean Salad with Corn, Red Peppers, Avocado and Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette

Serves: 6-8

Ingredients

2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained

3 ears fresh cooked corn, kernels cut off the cob

2 red bell peppers diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons minced shallots, from one medium shallot

2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons sugar

9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon lime zest

6 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish

2 avocados, chopped

Instructions

Combine all ingredients except for avocados in a large bowl and mix well.  Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight.  Right before serving, add avocados and mix gently, being careful not to mash avocados.  Garnish with more chopped cilantro if desired.  Serve at room temperature.

I actually follow the recipe fairly close – but  – I also add a few pieces of chicken to my portioned-out serving.  I’m kind of a cilantro nut too, so I add way more than directed, but you can never really have too much cilantro, am I right?

bean salad 2

    My salad does not look as pretty as the one above, my avocado is a day old and browning slightly, but I assure you, it is just as tasty! 
     
    Well, now you know what I will be eating at least 4 days a week, probably for the next couple of months, although, after looking at the Pasta with Blue Cheese, Arugula and Walnuts, it is calling my name again!! UGH!

4 comments:

Naptime Review said...

Stopping by from GFC hop! Everything looks yummy! Love for you to stop by Naptime Review and return the follow.

Hosting Like Me on Facebook tonight. Love for you to link up!
www.thenaptimereview.com

Love,
Julie

Angie said...

Girl..You eat entirely too healthy for me!

Monica said...


I too would gobble up too much pasta..sigh. So I try and avoid it. But those other two salads look awesome!! I'm going to make the bean one. All the best,
Monica

April said...

I will definitely need to incorporate these recipes into my repertoire. I need to be better with my eating selections so that I can get this weight off!

Thanks for stopping by!

April from 100lbcountdown.com